[TxMt] Re: Fixing indenting/formatting C code

Steve King sking at arbor.net
Mon Oct 20 14:42:10 UTC 2008

Marc Feldesman wrote:
> As anyone who has ever done programming knows, it doesn't take long for the best laid plans to mess up elegant formatting.  I've been unable to find a command that reformats messy C code back to a standard GNU format (or any other for that matter).  Have I missed something, or does this command not exist for programming languages?

There's /usr/bin/indent, which is either part of the standard MacOS
install or part of the developer package. For the standard GNU format
you're probably better off with the GNU variant, which can be obtained
through MacPorts <http://www.macports.org/>. It installs to
/opt/local/bin/gnuindent. In general, GNU indent has many more options
than the standard version, including quick preset options for the GNU,
K&R, and Berkeley styles.

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer