[TxMt] Re: Simple markdown to book workflow?

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:37:01 UTC 2008

On Oct 3, 2008, at 8:46 AM, jiho wrote:

> On 2008-October-03  , at 04:36 , Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
>
>>> Is there an easy workflow to produce a halfway decent looking book
>>> from this? I suspect it would involve Latex, which I know nothing
>>> about.
>>
>> Do you know Fletcher Penney's MultMarkdown. It generates LaTeX out of
>> Markdown.
>>
>> http://fletcherpenney.net/mt/mt-search.cgi?
>> tag=MultiMarkdown&blog_id=1
>

> Multimarkdown is actually included in TextMate's Markdown bundle. I
> advise you to use the LaTeX memoir class. If you do not know anything
> about latex and wwant to customize your output a bit, read some
> introductory texts before diving into your file. "The not so short
> introduction to latex" is a good one, maybe you'll find some tutorials
> on the web regarding books in particular, and, if you use the memoir
> class, the manual of this class (provided with your latex installation
> and easily found on the web) is extensive and very interesting, with
> as much technical details as typesetting theory. It requires some
> getting used to and some learning but the results are far better than
> anything else you could use, in my opinion.

To read the documentation for the memoir class, assuming you have
installed LaTeX using the MacTeX package, just open a Terminal window
and type "texdoc memoir". This should open a local web page for you
with links to the pdf documentation. I haven't used the memoir class
personally myself, but I would definitely recommend it for someone
coming fresh to LaTeX.

> Good luck.
>
> JiHO
> ---