[TxMt] Re: Latex bundle troubleshooting II

Alex Ross tm-alex at rosiba.com
Tue Nov 18 20:36:09 UTC 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Guido Governatori wrote:

> On 19/11/2008, at 4:58 AM, Alex Ross wrote:
>

>> On Nov 18, 2008, at 5:40 PM, Achilleas Lazarides wrote:
>>
>>> Hello again,
>>> Seems I am still having some trouble with the latex bundle.
>>> Basically, the first time I attempt to typeset after launching
>>> textmate, I
>>> get:

>>> The current PATH is:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin
>>> /bin
>>> /usr/sbin
>>> /sbin
>>> Please add the directory containing “kpsewhich” to PATH in
>>> TextMate's Shell
>>> Variables preferences.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, the PATH can be retrieved from Terminal but this
>>> requires a
>>> relaunch:
>>> (button to perform this operation)
>>>
>>> Now as a matter of fact the correct path is present in my shell
>>> variables in
>>> textmate's preferences (in "shell variables" under "advanced"), as
>>> opposed to
>>> just /usr/bin, /bin and sbin as mentioned in the message;
>>> furthermore, it is
>>> already in my usual PATH. If I do click on the button, it quits and
>>> restarts
>>> and everything is ok. Checking the preferences, a new PATH var has
>>> been added,
>>> containing my shell path. This addition occurs even if the exact
>>> same path
>>> variable is already present in textmate's preferences.
>>>
>>> If I now quit and restart textmate, the same process is repeated,
>>> and a new
>>> path variable added to the preferences before I can typeset
>>> (identical to the
>>> other ones already there), and everything works after that, until I
>>> quit
>>> again, and so on.
>>>
>>> This did not happen before I updated my latex and support bundles.
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm just being thick, but I can't see what is going on, and
>>> this is
>>> starting to get annoying. Any ideas?
>>
>> Update TextMate to bleeding edge by ⌥+Click (Option+click) the
>> “Check for updates…” button in TextMate's Software Update
>> preference pane.
>>

> I had the same problem  and updating to the cutting edge did not help.
> I had to include /usr/texbin in the path in ~/.MacOSX/
> environment.plist

Updating to cutting edge is not enough.  You have to ⌥+Click (Option
+Click) the “Check now” button in the Software Update prefpane.
This downloads a special TM build that corrects a bug with the way
TextMate puts Shell Variables into the environment.  After this,
setting “PATH” in the Shell Variables section of preferences is
enough.

—Alex