[TxMt] Re: TextMate for sysadmins

Alex Rice mindlube at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 07:46:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Andrea Crotti <kerny404 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First a question, is there someone using textmate to work on unix servers??

Hi, I use TextMate a lot on Unix servers via MacFUSE/sshfs and WebDAV
connections in the Finder. In some ways Emacs is better for such
things because I can quickly browse to a particular file, and edit &
save. When running in project mode TM seems to stat every file in the
project  when it regains focus, which results in much slowness
especially over  VPN connection. When using these remote volumes, I
create files from TM, but I  try not to  rename files from TM because
it gets confused. Deleting files works ok most of the time.

I don't know which of these things are the fault of textmate,  the
fault of Finder, or the Mac OS X volume manager. Probably the latter.
In any case, quitting and re-launching TextMate is a good workaround.

There are a lot of additional TM bundles available from the subversion
repository, although I am not sure about all the file types you
mentioned.

Hope this helps!