[TxMt] Re: Printing vs Viewing Font

Alex Ross tm-alex at rosiba.com
Mon Nov 3 13:37:53 UTC 2008

On Nov 1, 2008, at 11:21 PM, Marc Feldesman wrote:

> I'm having a bit of trouble balancing the the size of the print font
> with the size of the font visible on the screen.  The print font is
> way too large to fit comfortably on a standard sheet of paper, but
> it appears that in order to reduce the printing font I also have to
> reduce the size of the font on the screen.  Is there some way to
> decouple these two font sizes and types?  I'd like the print font to
> be no more than 9 or 10 point, while the on screen font I'd like to
> keep at 13 or 14 point.  I've got a 30" monitor and screen real
> estate is no problem.  I have old eyes, but I don't like to waste
> paper or have ugly printouts.
>
> Any suggestions on how to resolve this.  I don't see anywhere to
> decouple these two fonts.

The best solution is to avoid using TextMate's print dialog.  There is
a command in the TextMate bundle to convert the current document to
HTML, styled using the current theme.  You can then print this
document from safari, or convert it to RTF using textutil on the
command line.

There is a “copy as rtf” command here: http://github.com/drnic/copy-as-rtf-tmbundle/tree/master

You'll get much better, more predictable results this way.

—Alex