[TxMt] toggling pairs as in VI

Phil Schumm pschumm at uchicago.edu
Sun May 25 11:54:28 UTC 2008

On May 25, 2008, at 12:11 AM, Peter Rossi wrote:
> I realize that textmate implements automatic pairing of delimiters
> such as parentheses.  However, this does not prevent you from
> removing one of the paired parentheses etc during the editing
> process.  In vi, I would use "%" to toggle between open and close
> delimiters to debug syntax.  I can't find a similar feature in
> textmate.

Have you noticed that when you "pass over" the closing paren/brace/
bracket/quote, the opening one will blink?  By pass over, I mean
either (1) typing the closing character TextMate has already inserted
for you, or (2) using the arrow key to move right over the closing
character.  If you don't get a blink, then the closing paren/brace/
bracket/quote is unmatched.  This won't help you if the opening
character is not on the screen, but works pretty well (IMO) for
double-checking on your way out of a complex, nested expression.

-- Phil