[TxMt] esc in latex

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 04:15:31 UTC 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Christopher Brewster wrote:

> Why is this not working for me?
> When I use a \ref{} and press escape nothing happens except a sound
> from the computer.
>
> How can I track down the problem?

I assume that opt-esc works in the same case?

If really al you have typed is \ref{}, then you shouldn't expect esc
to work, since it has no word to match with. Note that more
generally, the "esc" mechanism works more or less like the standard
completion mechanism, i.e. it needs to be seeing exactly the
beginning of the label you are asking it to complete, while the "opt-
esc" mechanism is happy with matching the current word anywhere in
the corresponding label. I.e. in a situation like this:

\label{bel}
\label{eqn:bel}
\ref{b}
\ref{e}
\ref{q}

When you ask it to esc-complete the \ref{b}, you get bel, when you
ask it to esc-complete \ref{e} you get eqn:bel, and for \ref{q} you
get a beep.
When you ask it to opt-esc-complete, you get both options in the
first two cases, and only eqn:bel in the third case.

Does that answer your question?

esc-label completion is also case sensitive.

> Christopher

> Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College