[TxMt] Re: unicode issue with QuickLook on Leopard

Mon Jun 30 05:39:40 UTC 2008

On 30 Jun 2008, at 00:57, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> [...] According to the Foundation release notes, 10.5 now tries
> UTF-8 as a fallback if -[NSString
> initWithContentsOfURL:usedEncoding:error] is used (presumably if
> xattrs and BOM are absent).  Does that answer your suggestion?

Answer my suggestion? Not sure what you mean by that.

> Personally, I like the idea of using xattrs for this, but we were
> using them for that purpose before Leopard.

Using it to make UTF-8 work is bad! As said, UTF-8 can be safely
detected without such attribute, so the attribute is 100% redundant.

Also, UTF-8 is the only sane encoding to use for new stuff, so text
files should be UTF-8 today, having to do special tricks to make the
system detect them as that, sucks, especially since majority of text
files are not generated in CoreFoundation-using applications -- even
on a Mac they might come from shell redirects, be generated by
scripts, or similar. So majority of files will not have this
attribute, and will never get such attribute.