[TxMt] cool rubymate help feature that comes and goes

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Fri Jun 27 16:43:49 UTC 2008

For a while, there was this great feature in RubyMate. When you select a
term in your script and press control-H, RubyMate would consult ri (or fri
or whatever it is) and, if there were multiple alternatives found, would
list them all in a little tooltip or popup menu beneath the mouse. So if you
said "gsub" you might see Kernel#gsub, String#gsub, and so on. This is a
menu so you could click an alternative and do a lookup of that in the help.
Very nice.

The thing is, though, that this feature has completely vanished as if I'd
only dreamt it. Does anyone know how I can get it back?

RubyMate's ri interface was really pretty good, because so much of it was
clickable links. The Terminal ri interface is very inconvenient because none
of it is clickable links, but that's pretty much what I'm stuck with now.
It's so disappointing that I'm thinking of writing my own ri interface app
for Mac OS X (stop me if there is one already). m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!