[TxMt] another "Ack in project" TextMate plugin.

Trevor Squires trevor at protocool.com
Thu Jun 5 22:56:00 UTC 2008

Hi Gerd,

thanks for the feedback:

Search Pasteboard: thanks, and done.  It both queries and updates the
pboard now so (provided your find-panel 'Regular Expression' setting
jives with the ack-panel's 'Literal' setting) you can do command-g in
the editor to go to the next match.

Nib Files: strange... I don't get results from nibs...

Tmproj Files: I agree that it should be excluded but right now I think
the best thing to do is document "suggested $HOME/.ackrc entries" on
the github wiki.

Different Shortcut: as much as your suggestion is symmetrical, I find
it just too darn hard to type... I plan to leave it as-is because
users can remap it at will anyhow.  Sorry.

Progress Spinner: yeah, I find it annoying too.  There's much that's
sub-optimal with having to return my results to an html output window
and I haven't found a strategy that meets all my requirements.

Cancel Button: the more I think about it, the more I wish I had done
TextMate.exit_discard in response to 'cancel'.  It's a bit unnerving
to have the output window disappear though...  I'm thinking on it
anyhow.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide quality feedback.

Regards,
Trevor

On 5/30/08, Gerd Knops <gerti-textmate at bitart.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Trevor Squires <trevor at protocool.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > a short while back I went looking for a TextMate plugin for ack but
> > the advertised link was dead so I based one off GrepInProject++
> > (instead of doing something sensible like contact the plugin's author
> > about the dead link...).
> >
> > Anyhow, my own take on "Ack in project" can be found at:
> >
> > http://github.com/protocool/ack-tmbundle/tree/master
> >
> > It does nifty stuff like remember your last 10 searches, allows you to
> > choose word, literal or case insensitive search as well as configure
> > options like whether you want to show context lines, follow symlinks
> > and ignore .ackrc (you can define a .ackrc in your project directory
> > too).
> >
> > I've still got a few things I'd like to improve with it but it's in
> > daily use (on Tiger, will test Leopard shortly).
> >

>  Nice! A few things:
>
>  - It should use the search pasteboard (tip: "pbpaste -pboard find")
>
>  - It includes nib files (even though the ack man page says it doesn't) and
> also the .tmproj file. So i think it should use a default .ackrc of:
>
>         --type-set
>         nib=.nib,.xib
>         --type-set
>         textmate=.tmproj
>         --nonib
>         --notextmate
>
>  - I think a shortcut of ⇧⌥⌘-F (Shift-Alt-Cmd-F in case mail doesn't
> preserve those characters) would be more intuitive
>
>  - The progress spinner while the panel is up is a bit annoying, though I am
> not sure if that can be changed easily
>
>  - I think cancel should close the window (maybe use the tooltip exit code
> and print "Ack in project cancelled" or so)
>
>  BTW seems to work fine on Leopard.
>
>  Gerd

Trevor Squires
http://somethinglearned.com