[TxMt] Re: Suggestion for the Latex Bundle

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:52:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Karl Meyer wrote:
> Good point, the best thing woud be language dependent settings.
> I will try to find out how to do this. Any hints where to start? Is it
> possible to use e.g. \usepackage{ngerman} or the babel settings
> to figure out what language setting is needed?
> Regards
> Johannes.

I don't know exactly (don't use LaTeX any more), but just as a hint:
since Babel is not being developed & maintained any more, XeTeX users
are now using polyglossia package instead of Babel, and XeTeX users
are primarily the "Unicode-aware" ones. The "traditional TeX-ies"
probably still use ,, and `` for quotation marks, and "a, "o, "u to
get the umlauts. (I'm generalizing too much, but ...)

Besides that, there is german (for traditional german) and ngerman
(for new german orthography), and now Germans have made new
hyphenation patterns, and because backward compatibility may not be
broken, it might be that they'll start using {german-x}, {ngerman-x}
or something similar in not-too-distant future.

Then, you also need to be aware of "project structure". language is
usually defined in master document, and one might \input other file in
master document. Or, maybe it's even possible to use
    \usepackage[german,french]{babel}

Do not ask me, I'm neither LaTeX user nor German. It's just a warning
of things that you need to be aware of when parsing document contents
to extract the language.

Mojca