[TxMt] Suggested workflows AS3: Flash/Textmate

Alistair Colling alistair.colling at fpp.net
Mon Jun 2 16:07:26 UTC 2008

Gaby thanks :) this is great. I hadn't thought of putting my designs
in symbols and then importing these from the SWF. I was trying to
import the top-level of the SWF and lay everything out there but all
I need to do is put this inside a movieclip so it appears in the
library.
Thanks again,
Ali

On 2 Jun 2008, at 16:21, Gaby Vanhegan wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2008, at 11:14, Alistair Colling wrote:
>
>> 1) Is there a way I can compile in Textmate that can incorporate
>> designs made in an FLA? I would like to be able to create interfaces
>> in Flash, create the SWF initially from the Flash IDE and then edit
>> all of my code in Textmate and compile from Textmate while I am
>> working. I'm aware that I can create library items and attach them
>> to the stage at runtime but I would like to be able to lay them out
>> in Flash as well. I was able to do this in AS2 when using MTASC but
>> when I compile using fcsh the content from the original SWF
>> (compiled from Flash) is overwritten.
>
> This works perfectly for me:
>
> package {
>
>         [Embed(source="file.swf",symbol="MyExportedSymbol")]
>         public class MyExportedSymbol extends Sprite {
>
>                 // Create a public var for each named clip in the
> symbol's root
>
>                 // Standard constructor
>                 public function MyExportedSymbol ( ) : void {
>                 }
>
>         }
>
> }
>
> Then just build the application in TM.  mxmlc will pull in the
> appropriate symbol from the swf then any time you create a
> MyExportedSymbol object with:
>
> var ms:MyExportedSymbol = new MyExportedSymbol();
>
> If creates it with the asset from the .swf file you specified.  The
> gotcha will be that if you have a couple of clips in that symbol's
> root timeline you need to create public variables to hold them in the
> class definition.  For example if you have two clips dropped into it
> named ClipA and ClipB, you will need to have:
>
>         public var ClipA:Sprite;
>         public var ClipB:Sprite;
>
> As public variables of the class.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> G.
>
> --
> Being drunk is feeling sophisticated without being able to say it.
> http://www.playr.co.uk/

Alistair Colling
Interactive Developer

FPP Brand Communications (Newcastle upon Tyne)
The Courtyard
Dinsdale Place
Sandyford
Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1BD
Telephone: +44 (0)191 261 6662
Fax: +44 (0)191 233 2511

This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed.
It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not
copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender at the e-mail address above.
FPP Design Limited. Reg. Office: The Courtyard, Dinsdale Place, Sandyford, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1BD.
Registered Number 3775564. Registered in England and Wales. Visit our website at http://www.fpp.net/