[TxMt] A long em-dash (and other things)

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Mon Jun 2 07:33:03 UTC 2008

On 2 Jun 2008, at 08:33, Will Robertson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've always dreamed about a text editor that will show unicode to me
> in a slightly more suitable form than what I'm used to. Like a
> double-width em-dash (assuming fixed width fonts are being used) --
> or even a double-width en-dash and a triple-width em-dash -- and
> visual differentiation between the various invisible characters like
> no-break space, zero-width joiner, and the half dozen or so extra
> unicode glyphs that aren't displayed very well in code.
>
> While TextMate's "Show Invisibles" does indeed show no-break space,
> (most of?) the others remain invisible. And em-dash is rather hard
> to distinguish from en-dash :)
>
> Has anyone else ever thought such things before? Certainly I think
> greater editing support for such unicode glyphs would encourage
> their use (which, at present, seems rather uncommon).
Yes. Among others like me, I believe, Allan is aware of it. TM 2.0
will support rendering Unicode glyphs. Whether the feature "Show
Invisibles" etc. would be a part of the first TM 2.0 release I do not
know.

I also have that problem. That's why the Unicode bundle in Review SVN
trunk was established containing some helper functions, such as "Show
Unicode Name(s) of a selection.

--Hans