[TxMt] Re: Actual Forum?

Kevin Horton khorton01 at rogers.com
Thu Jul 31 21:30:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Florian Gilcher <flo at andersground.net>wrote:

> Actually, all this discussion only illustrates one thing:
>
> Neither Mailing-Lists, Message Boards or Wikis are a silver bullet.
>
> <--snip-->

> Maybe it's time again that someone thinks out of the box and eighter
> mixes all three to something cool or comes up with an entirely new idea.

I suscribe to one mailing list that added a two way connection to a web
forum a few months ago, in an attempt to have the best of both worlds.  This
made the mailing list much less easy to use, as many of the posters in the
web forum didn't understand that their posts would be sent to a mailing
list, so we got bombarded with posts with no context, multiple posts each
time an existing forum entry was editted, and a number of very knowledgeable
list members left in disgust, greatly reducing the knowledge pool to draw
from.  The web forum users were subjected to a bunch of whining from e-mail
list users, complaining about the posts with no context, the posts from
multiple edits, and complaints about fora in general.  In my opinion, it
rather ended up with the worst of both worlds.

Folks who prefer e-mail lists should use e-mail lists, folks who prefer fora
should use fora, and never the twain should meet.

Kevin Horton