[TxMt] Re: Actual Forum?

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Wed Jul 30 19:04:42 UTC 2008

podperson wrote:
> I know there are people who (for some reason) prefer mailing lists to actual
> forums, but I'd like to cast my vote for a proper forum.
>
> Nabble works surprisingly well, but it's still pretty painful compared to
> any forum I've used.

Coming to this thread a bit late, but +1 for mailing list.

Forums have categories and each of those categories is likely to be
separated into X messages per page. Number of categories times number of
pages in each one equals a ton of pages I have to load just to read
what's going on (with all the HTML/CSS/JavaScript/image overhead that
entails). Even if I only care about one category, their subjective so I
don't know that everything I care about got placed into the right one
(so I pretty much have to check them all). Fuck that. And since each
application would have its own forum, multiply the number of pages you
have to load by that as well. Or, I can just skim down a list of
quick-loading text in my mail client. So what if the "whole thing" comes
to me? My mail client lets me delete things.

You need to filter your mail. Have your mail client look for this header
and stick the matching messages in a folder.

Bottom line: Even if there were a forum, those of us that can actually
answer your questions are going to be here on the mailing list - not
looking at everyone's stupid animated GIF avatars. So, do you still want
a forum? Or would you rather have your questions answered?

--
Rob