[TxMt] Re: Actual forum?

John Laudun jlaudun at mac.com
Wed Jul 30 14:14:33 UTC 2008

On 2008-07-30, at 08:55 , textmate-request at lists.macromates.com wrote:

> Not everyone interested in TextMate wants to hack on it.

True, but all the discussions remind me that I can!

> Mailing list says "pre-web mentality".

One of the unfortunate tendencies amongst some technologists is to
push for the same kind of "next great thing" fashion mindset that we
rail against elsewhere. This comment suggests that those who aren't
interested in a forum are somehow luddites or old-fashioned. Some
technologies work better for some functions for some people better
than others. This particular group has cohered around this mailing
list. It's entirely possible that another group would cohere around a
forum. No one is stopping you from setting one up -- Google, Yahoo,
and scores of others offer such venues for free. Notice that the best
discussions about Apple technology are not in any Apple.com forum but
in places like Ars Technica or OS X Hints, etc.

It's possible that some here would join you in a forum. I certainly
like the fact that a well-designed forum offers me a good archive that
I don't have to maintain.

john