[TxMt] First impressions

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 01:36:36 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Pete Becker wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Mark Eli Kalderon wrote:
>>
>> The comments (”% (fold)”, “% section section_name (end)”) function as
>> fold markers thus allowing code folding of sections. This is a
>> standard
>> part of the LaTeX bundle. Just be sure to insert your sections
>> with the
>> provided snippets. (It is quicker anyway.)
>>

> It's quicker only if you have the underscores package loaded.
> Otherwise, '_' isn't a valid character in a label, and you have to
> change all those underscores to something else. <g> I modified the
> snippets to use '.' instead of '_'.

I've been working for probably close to a decade with LaTeX, using
labels with underscores in them all the time, and had not even heard
of this package before! I never had any problem. Is it perhaps
automatically loaded with some commonly used package?

To Konrad, if your main complaint from the LaTeX bundle is the
folding, then I would take that to mean we've done an excellent job
with it ;)
Seriously, it would indeed be nice to be able to fold at sections,
subsections etc. One could theoretically write a script that scans a
tex file and adds the necessary folding markers, as if you had indeed
used the snippets. It should not be too hard to implement I don't think.

Actually what would be even nicer, for me, would be to be able to get
an outline of your whole project, essentially listing the table of
contents, regardless of how many files the project is split into, and
then to be able to simply drag and drop sections around to rearrange
things. But I am probably just daydreaming.

Personally, I almost never fold, I haven't found it particularly
useful. What do you guys use folding for? If I want to see an outline
of the section structure and/or move around, I would use the symbol
list. But I am probably missing some other extremely important use of
folding.

For me the most useful commands are the wrapping and inserting
commands. I couldn't live in a world where those aren't available.

>   -- Pete
>
> Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College