[TxMt] Re: Remote editing of projects

Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient textmate at subtleGradient.com
Thu Jan 24 13:20:07 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008, at 6:10 AM, Jacob Rus wrote:

> dakarp wrote:
>> I am currently a user of BBEdit. I'd like to be able to use
>> TextMate if I
>> could find a combination of an SFTP client and TextMate that would
>> allow me
>> to edit multiple files remotely as a project (grouped in the same
>> window,
>
> Incidentally, have you looked into synchronizing things with some
> version control system, and working on a local copy?  For most
> projects, such is a generally safer way to work.
>
> -Jacob

I totally agree.
 From tiny projects to massive projects, I find that I just can't
stand the slowness of developing on a remote system.
Even if there's no way of previewing what I'm developing locally.

Here's my most recent in depth look into workflows.
	http://subtlegradient.com/articles/2007/03/30/web-development-environment-and-workflow

I don't recommend committing something to subversion just to get it
uploaded to a dev server for testing.

I do recommend using Transmit with DockSend and the Transmit bundle
for TextMate.
	Set it up properly and you can upload with a single action from
inside textmate.

—Thomas Aylott – subtleGradient—