[TxMt] LaTeX - opening PDFs

Brad Miller bonelake at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 22:56:03 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 3:57 PM, Robin Houston wrote:

> On 11/01/2008, Brad Miller <bonelake at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Haris,  I cannot reproduce the beeping,
>
> I can reproduce it if I turn on the "Check for file changes" option in
> the Skim prefs. Haris told me that he had that option on, so I suspect
> that's the explanation. What happens is that Skim starts to reload the
> file, having noticed that it has changed, and then the AppleEvent
> arrives while the file is already reloading, causing Skim to beep.
> (Because it's timing-dependent, it doesn't happen every time, and how
> frequently it happens probably depends on the size and complexity of
> the file and the speed of the machine.)

I too can reproduce the beep by turning on Check for changes....

>> On Jan 11, 2008, at 6:12 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>>> Also, focus doesn't seem to switch to Skim.
>> Again this works for me.    But it also worked for me without Robin's
>> patch to tell Skim to activate!  I hate applescript.
>
> But I haven't posted my patch to tell the viewer to activate! It's
> attached here.

Before I apply and commit this patch I would like to know how many
people have a problem.  I cannot reproduce the failure to activate
problem on my powerbook running 10.5.1.  For me, the code (without
this patch) activates Skim just fine after typesetting the document.
If Skim does not activate for you after a successful typeset I would
like to know more about your environment to see if this is really
necessary or not.  Extra applescript just slows everything down.

- do you have Check for changes checked in Skim?
- What settings do you have in Latex Preferences?
- What version of Mac OS are you using?

Thanks,

Brad