[TxMt] which version control system to take?

Florian Gilcher flo at andersground.net
Fri Feb 29 20:41:33 UTC 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Tim Harper wrote:

> I've installed git on windows using mingw distro.  It comes with an
> installer and everything, and it does a really great job!  The git-
> gui has a bit of a problem (I can't create commits from it), but the
> console works perfectly well as far as I can tell.
>
> It is a preview release, so stability is not guaranteed.  You'd want
> to do your own experimentation with it, first.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>
> As Mark said, subversion may just fit your needs.  For what we've
> been doing (we branch like crazy), git has been superb.  I haven't
> had any motivation to try Mercurial or bazaar yet.
>
> Tim

I see the problem with git that it has a somewhat technical interface.
All those long ids that the command line client shows are just great
to push non-technical users away (although there is nothing to worry
about). Subversion goes a long way to be understandable for everybody.

If you are working with people that you have to convince of using a
version control system, chances are high you don't need the features
that subversion offers (i know many that don't branch because it
doesn't fit their mind).

Actually, merge tracking will get much better in Subversion 1.5.

Another point i'd like to add: if you see the server administration as
a problem, there are many providers that do this for you for a small
sum (for all systems). If you are okay with having your data rest a
different place than your home, this is clearly an option.

Greetings
Florian Gilcher