[TxMt] which version control system to take?

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Fri Feb 29 17:18:23 UTC 2008

On 29 Feb 2008, at 17:07, Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient wrote:
> Although I've been trying to move to Mercurial or Git for quite a
> while, I would most highly recommend Subversion for what you have in
> mind.

[snip]

I'd second all that. For most writing projects Subversion should be
ideal. It only gets tricky if you want to do a load of branching and
merging - and even then it's fairly straightforward if you follow the
rules.

A caveat: most version control systems, Subversion included, are best
at merging changes from multiple sources if those changes are confined
to discreet lines. For code that's usually not a problem but with text
someone might be tempted to reformat text to, e.g. pull a paragraph
back into shape after edits. Because words are reflowed across
multiple lines that makes the effective extent of the change much
greater - and can result in commit conflicts which have to be resolved
manually.

That's less of a problem if different committers are working on
different parts of the document and also if everyone commits pretty
regularly rather than attempting to commit large sets of edits at once.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten