[TxMt] New Rbundle and absolute beginner questions on how it works

Paul McCann paul.mccann at adelaide.edu.au
Wed Feb 20 23:29:47 UTC 2008

Hi Graham,

> However, I am not at all sure what to do with the other two files (Rdaemon
> and R,app) as these don't unzip to bundle files.

Fair enough! Looks like those other files *are* zip files but lacked the
extension. To get the Rdaemon version running rename "R" to "R.zip" and then
double click it. You should see

R Console (Rdaemon).tmbundle

which can then be double clicked to add it to TextMate.

Now open a new file, change the language to "R Console (Rdaemon)" from the
selector at the bottom of the window. Type

start[tab]

and the daemon should start. There might be a small bug here in that you'll
see two ">" signs. Just delete one of them and begin to enter R commands as
you would in the console.

> If I type "test<-c(3,4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)" in TextMate and hit command R, An
> R runtime opens and the command is executed and this line appears in the
> runtime.
>
> I would now expect to type "test" in Textmate, hit command R again and get
> something like:
>
> > test
> [1]  3  4  6  7  8  9 10

This should now work as you expect. It's a really nice environment!

Good luck,
Paul