[TxMt] screencasts // missing shown features

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Mon Feb 11 01:49:24 UTC 2008

On 10 Feb 2008, at 15:16, Dennis Amrouche wrote:

> [...]
>>> (And I guess its even faster for the authors to record a
>>> screencast on
>>> certain issues rather than writing about them)
>> I would guess that you guess incorrectly!  (Based on my attempts at
>> (non-TextMate) screencasts. It's harder than you might imagine!)
> Video-Tutorials wont substitute proper documentation, but they could
> explain quite well and straight forward the handling of ie. software.
>
> Whats the struggle to record snippets of 4min of free speach and
> flowing action with the software you like the most?

Well, try it for yourself :) Coming up with good stuff to show and
actually recording it is much much harder than it looks.

Also, even if we did 100+ new screencasts, what is the chance of us
recording one showing exactly the stuff you needed (like the doctype
snippet, which I actually think is featured in at least one screencast)?

Not to mistake the above for me not wanting more screencast, I love
them, but just don’t underrestimate the effort that goes into them,
and also, recording dozens of 4 minute “trivial” screencasts will IMO
devalue the concept.