[TxMt] punctuation.whitespace.function-call.leading.c

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Fri Feb 8 21:21:20 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Gerd Knops wrote:

> I take exception to the C syntax gobbling up whitespace at the
> beginning of a line. It screws up my tab guides, as seen in the
> example below (before EXCEPTION).

I'll just echo here what Joachim has said… Sometimes matching entire
lines is necessary grammar wise. It'd be great if it wasn't but I
think that's not really feasible for all cases.

I've also talked with SubtleGradient a lot about this as he wants the
same in the main Javascript and CSS grammars. I think it's a bad
precident to set because once you start adding it to one official
grammar it becomes a standard feature that people will end up wanting
elsewhere. Scope wise I think it's tends to be bad because it can
easily double or even triple the number of scopes in a document. Of
course that probably sounds hollow as I've been responsible for adding
tons of scopes… but it still seems bad to add so many just for a
single feature.

I don't know where allan's stance is, but my view is that this should
be a TextMate level feature, built into the editor and completely
separated from the grammars. It would then work everywhere, even when
an entire line is matched. If it was tied into the folding perhaps
even allow better coloring as you could the entire clock for a color,
something like XCode.