[TxMt] LaTeX Bundle question

Geoff Vallis gkv at Princeton.EDU
Wed Feb 6 21:53:45 UTC 2008

Replying to Brad and Niels in one go:

On Feb 6, 2008, at 4:33 PM, Brad Miller wrote:

>> Brad,
>>
>> That's too bad if so, and seems a bit odd, to me at least. After
>> all, an applescript can call a shell script, which could be used to
>> call xdvi, presuming that the parameters like line number and file
>> name could be passed on to the shell script. And I thought that
>> Textmate could in any case invoke shell commands directly, which is
>> all one would need along with the file name and line number.
>>
>> I am presumably missing something!
>>

> You are probably right.  I didn't think about it very carefully, and
> I don't really know anything about xdvi anymore as I've been very
> happily using pdf for several years now.
>
> I would presume that if it can all be done in a shell script then
> using the TM_ variables would give you enough info to put together a
> script.  In fact this script could simply be the body of a TextMate
> bundle command.
>
> Brad

Thanks to both of you. Looking at texMate.py, it seems that in order
to forward sync, TextMate calls the scripts that are provided by the
PDF viewers, such as forward-search.sh in TeXniscope. On the face of
it, it seems that one might be able to substitute a call to xdvi for
one of these scripts, as the functionality and calling parameters are
very similar. I guess I'll give it a shot -- unless someone who
actually knows what they are doing wants to do it? I suspect it is a
piece of cake in that case, and I'd be happy to provide any knowledge
of xdvi that might be needed. (Unfortunately, I barely know what a
'bundle' is...)

Geoff