[TxMt] Perl language definition: switch, case?

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Mon Feb 4 08:42:24 UTC 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 6:24 AM, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> I should have been more explicit. In Perl 5.10.0 // could be an
> empty regex or the new 'defined or' operator:
>
> my $foo = $bar // 'not defined';	# new defined-or operator
> my @f = split //, $baz;			# empty regex

The relevant bit from the ruby grammar:

http://pastie.textmate.org/private/zuh0beeg1ciwdqbqlovmaa

Basically we define a list of items a regex can follow, anything else
and it's a division operator. What you can do is the same expect only
with empty regexes. Match // that follows words that regexes can
follow, anything not caught will be caught by the lower // operator
match. It's not perfect in Ruby but it's pretty close.