[TxMt] Re: Reformat text paragraph and time-stamping snippets

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Tue Aug 26 04:40:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Aug 25, 2008, at 10:47 PM, Ahmed III wrote:

> 1.  How do I reformat a text paragraph to be within a set width, like
> 80?  On TextPad, on Windows, you could do that easily by setting the
> default text width to 80, and reformatting the paragraph.  I can't
> find a similar 'text width' setting in TextMate.  Where is it hidden?
> Does someone have a command to do this?  I can write my own, just show
> me a similar example.

I use an external command with the Text::AutoFormat perl module, but
you can try the UNIX fmt command available on OS X.

Select the text you want to format, right-click, Filter Through
Command, and try it.

> 2. I have a single file of dairy-like entries.  Before I start
> writing, I want to timestamp each entry.  I am looking to insert the
> following snippet:
>
> "==========
> YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS
>

> "
> How do I do that?

Define the snippet with the text above. Replace your YYYY... time
stamp with $(`date '+%Y-%m-%d %H-%M-%S'`)

You can also place a $0 at the point where you want your cursor to
end up.

When you create a new snippet, the text shown explains all these
options, BTW.

> I am aware of the timestamp command in the Text bundle but that only
> inserts the calendar date, not the time, and I don't know how to add
> the horizontal break before it.

The horizontal break is just plain text, you just type it.

> 3. I must say whereas the manual is very easy to read.  I find it hard
> to find out how to quickly implement what I need.

I like the TextMate book,, it helps a lot.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
XMPP ID: melo at simplicidade.org