[TxMt] Re: TextMate alternatives?

silverdr at inet.com.pl silverdr at inet.com.pl
Thu Aug 21 16:58:54 UTC 2008

On 2008-08-21, at 18:37, David Frascone wrote:

> I often have to code / edit files in Linux.  So, I'm looking for an
> editor with the following TextMate features:
>
> 1) The ability to *easily* use a dark background.  For a definition
> of easy, read:  not Jedit (at least, it was hard 2-3 years ago when
> I last did it . . I had to change every syntax type), and not emacs
> (same reason)

vim

> 2) Has the same keys that TextMate uses -- mostly.

hm... vim? That might be trickier...

> 3) Syntax Highlighting

vim

> 4) Fast

vim

> Any takers?  Or, am I resolved to be typing <esc>:wq into every
> document I ever edit with TextMate :)

It's not _that_ bad after all ;-) Surely I would also prefer having
TextMate-alike under other unixalikes but once you create your
environment for vim - it works very well and works practically the
same everywhere. To ease the pain and smoothen the transition you may
install "vimate" under OS X ;-)