[TxMt] Re: new MacTeX beta in TextMate

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 16:49:07 UTC 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Snyder, David F wrote:

> I've tested the new MacTex beta with TextMate+Skim+synctex (with
> pdflatex,
> xelatex, and latex (with and without the latexmk.pl script)) and it
> all
> works well on my research articles and exam files. Synctex seems to
> do a
> slightly better job than pdfsync, in my setup.

Syncing seems to work perfectly for me now too, since Brad's latest
commit. Nice work Brad!

On a related note, we've been having an off-list discussion as to
whether we should have a preference setting to allow the user to say
"I know synctex is cool and all that, but I just don't want it used".
Would that be something people would want? Currently if your tex
engine supports synctex, it will be used no matter what. With pdfsync
this was less of an issue, since you have to specify the \include
{pdfsync} statement, hence the user had a chance to turn it on and
off, should they wish to. In the case of pdfsync it was also more
critical, since there were slight layout changes when it was used. My
understanding is that this is not the case for synctex, which makes
it less clear whether it would still be useful for users to disable
it. Hence the reason for this email, to get people's views on the
matter.

> Regards,
> David

Haris Skiadas