[TxMt] Re: Recovering from crashes (was: Huge files in Textmate)

Fri Aug 15 04:03:33 UTC 2008

On 14 Aug 2008, at 15:37, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Adam Eberbach <aeberbach at mac.com>
> wrote:
>> [...] Can't it partially load files and load/dump as you scroll?

TextMate relies on having the file parsed up-to at least last visible
character. This is needed not just for display, but resolving key
strokes, certain preferences items etc.

Additionally it relies on having cached info that allows it to reparse
only what is necessary, when the user edits the document at any
arbitrary place.

Disk-mapped files can most likely only be supported by introducing a
parallel feature-limited mode. This approach has many disadvantages,
so it’s rather low on the list.

> [...] Even if I saved the files, I still lost the "open windows" and
> had to open and organize everything from scratch again. Which was
> pretty annoying. It would be nice if that could be fixed somehow [...]

Complete session restore, including state of modified files, is OTOH
pretty high on the list.