[TxMt] Re: Recursive LaTeX macros... (LaTeX question)

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 00:00:57 UTC 2008

On 12/08/2008, at 9:17 AM, Evan Berkowitz wrote:

> I want one function to specify some amount of white space.

Couple of problems with your macro :)
Here's a working version:

hello \indents{3} hello

The ifthen package doesn't provide \greaterthan. Also, you need that
\numexpr in order to evaluate the #1-1 expression before it's used in
the conditional. Recursion with the ifthen package is a bit awkward :)
Also note that there's a \whiledo command in ifthen, as well.

Anyway, there's an easier way to do what you're after:

hello \hspace*{3\IND} hello

I.e., you could use something like \newcommand\indents[1]

Hope this helps,