[TxMt] Re: textmate Digest, Vol 3, Issue 14

Roberto Aguilar roberto.c.aguilar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 09:07:01 UTC 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 2:02 AM, textmate-request at lists.macromates.com wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2008, at 11:21 PM, Nick wrote:
>> It's kind of funny to me that my two favorite programs by far
>> (textmate and quicksilver) have a completely unknown development
>> schedule (although quicksilver's is now dead :[ ). oh well! Theyre
>> both kind of like os x - you can't complain very legitimately about
>> their faults because they're just so much better than the
>> alternatives.
>>

> Sure you can.  Mac OS X users traditionally complain loudly about
> faults and grievances they find with OS X.  You'll rarely find a more
> critical bunch than aggrieved Mac users.  That a piece of software is
> good does not make it impervious to criticism.
>
> Someone else brought up MacVim, and it's an interesting point.  For a
> long time, I used Textmate exclusively.  But now, I only use Textmate
> around 50% of the time -- the other half taken up by MacVim, when I
> need split panes, remote editing, or an editor that will not choke on
> large text files.

+1 for MacVim; I use it exclusively now.

I must be one of the few that got TM1 specifically because TM2 was
advertised as a free upgrade.  I figured I would learn what the editor
was all about and be familiar with the basics when the new version
came out, I assumed, soon after Leopard.

Well, that time came and went and there are enough niggling things in
TM, particularly with the python bundle (the language I edit the
most), that I went searching elsewhere.  For me the single most
frustrating thing with the python bundle is that you need to add blank
lines with spaces to line up the end of a class / def in order for
code folding to work.  That is not only annoying for me, but other
team members as well.  A close #2 is also with folding, which breaks
if you start function parameters on a new line rather than on the same
line, e.g.

test = some_func(
     param1, param2)

Perfectly legal, but you need to do this in order to have any hope
folding code:

test = some_func(\
     param1, param2)

Legal, but annoying, especially working with a team where I don't have
control of the entire source's coding style.

-berto.