[TxMt] recent versions of rdoc may break RubyMate's Help lookup?

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Tue Aug 5 15:35:56 UTC 2008

>From the comp.lang.ruby list:

On Aug 4, 2008, at 08:28 AM, matt neuburg (that's me) wrote:

> I am really just not having any luck with rdoc / ri these days.
> Because
> the new version of rdoc promised that File#read would finally succeed
> (automatic lookup of methods in the supercclass), I downloaded it. It
> didn't change anything so I rebuilt my documentation from scratch. Now
> fast-ri is broken. Can anyone divine from this error what's gone wrong
> and what I should do? Thx - m.
>
> $ qri String
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `transfer': invalid subclass
> (TypeError)
>        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `node_import'
>        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load'
>        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load'
>        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/ri/ri_descriptions.rb:72:in
> `deserialize'

[Reply from Eric Hodel]

Looks like qri is using RDoc 1.0.1, which is shipped with ruby.  RDoc
2's on-disk YAML format is not backwards compatible with RDoc 1.  RDoc
2 can read RDoc 1's format due to some use of regular expressions.
fast-ri would need to be updated to read the RDoc 2 classes.

====

So, if Eric is right, then fastri needs to be updated to understand the
current yaml format generated by current versions
of rdoc...

The problem for TextMate / RubyMate is that its Help uses qri, which is
fastri. In fact, that is how I discovered the problem. I installed the new
rdoc, regenerated my help files, and found that Help in RubyMate had stopped
working, with the above error.

Just letting y'all know... m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!