[TxMt] tmCommand, Dialogs and multiple outputs (Ack problem)

Adam Strzelecki ono at java.pl
Tue Aug 5 13:57:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

I don't know if it was discussed already but there's something that
bothers me very much, the way showAsHTML in tmCommand works.

Right now using "Ack in Project" with ⇧⌘A opens empty blank output
window (killing old window if it was there), then Ack displays dialog
asking for the search query, if I press cancel output is left blank. I
was thinking it was fault of Ack scripts themselves, but unfortunately
it is way the commands work in TM.

So my Q is, would it be feasible to:

(1) Show output window only once command writes something into the
output first time -> So in Ack when the window is popped up we don't
see output window yet, and when we Cancel we won't see the output as
well (it will mimic better expected interface)

(2) Ability to create multiple output windows for single tool,
currently Ack has its own single output window so:

   * When I search something new, all my previous results are killed,
even when I press by mistake the shortcut, now the output window is
emptied
   * I wish to search for few things at once and make all the results
stay

Seting "uid" to nothing (or removing the uid section from tmCommand)
somehow makes many output windows to show up (2), but something wrong
makes sometimes TM crash with such windows.

Regards,
--
Adam Strzelecki