[TxMt] TMProject: How to make a copy of a TMProject for taking away?

Phil Molyneux molyneux at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 06:47:17 UTC 2008

Thanks for the reply --- I agree that the file system is conceptually
the right place to group files but quite often I want a link to a
file to appear in several projects. So either I drop into Terminal
and create  symbolic link (ln -s <source> <target>) or I use TextMate
to create virtual groupings.

If I want (say) TeX to work on the groupings then I have to create
symbolic links (not Mac aliases) so I would welcome TextMate creating
the links.

Incidentally, Finder in Leopard seems not to able to follow symbolic
links as it did in Tiger --- is there a document/web site that
describes what is going on with (Mac) aliases and (Unix) symbolic
links in Leopard ?

Phil

On 25 Apr 2008, at 06:20, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2008, at 08:03, Phil Molyneux wrote:
>
>> Why are groups in TextMate projects being dropped from 2.0 ?
>
> Because the file system is there to group files into folders.
> Having TextMate do the exact same thing is IMO conceptually wrong.
> It also complicates things like for example having commands run on
> a project and generally just makes your project “groupings” non-
> portable.
>
> Using the file system makes a lot more sense, and things which were
> previously “project specific” can then instead be “folder
> specific”, which is generally exactly what it is.
>
>> It seems quite useful to have a file appearing in several
>> (virtual) places. Without groups I guess I would have to create
>> actual directories and (symbolic) links to actual files which
>> would be less convenient than having TextMate create virtual
>> groupings (or am I missing something obvious here?)
>
> I am not sure I agree that using the file system is less convenient
> -- but let’s hold off discussing this till there actually is a beta.

Security System.