[TxMt] TMProject: How to make a copy of a TMProject for taking away?

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Fri Apr 25 05:20:53 UTC 2008

On 22 Apr 2008, at 08:03, Phil Molyneux wrote:

> Why are groups in TextMate projects being dropped from 2.0 ?

Because the file system is there to group files into folders. Having
TextMate do the exact same thing is IMO conceptually wrong. It also
complicates things like for example having commands run on a project
and generally just makes your project “groupings” non-portable.

Using the file system makes a lot more sense, and things which were
previously “project specific” can then instead be “folder specific”,
which is generally exactly what it is.

> It seems quite useful to have a file appearing in several (virtual)
> places. Without groups I guess I would have to create actual
> directories and (symbolic) links to actual files which would be less
> convenient than having TextMate create virtual groupings (or am I
> missing something obvious here?)

I am not sure I agree that using the file system is less convenient --
but let’s hold off discussing this till there actually is a beta.