[TxMt] Re: Semi-OT Screencast FAQ?

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Sun Apr 13 13:51:17 UTC 2008

On 4/12/08 9:13 PM, in article
195163120804122113i5fd1862du4787ddafeca75017 at mail.gmail.com, "Saul
Rosenbaum" <saul at visualchutzpah.com> wrote:

> I can recommend screenflow - it's pretty amazing..

What I do is:

(1) In snapz pro, make the movie in short segments ("scenes") saving to
Apple Intermediate Codec.

(2) Drag each movie into a Keynote slide. Yes, Keynote! Apple's secret movie
editor.

(3) "Edit" the whole thing in Keynote. If a slide contains a movie, the
movie plays. If a slide contains a sound file, the sound plays. If both,
both. (Thus I can do the visuals and the narration separately if desired.)
Transitions and builds work. Keynote lets you "top-and-tail" movies and
sound files so if the beginning or end is bad you can just expunge it.

(4) When finished, export as Apple Intermediate Codec again.

(5) Now use QuickTime Pro (or, if you are a cheapskate like me, QTAmateur)
to compress. Good example settings are:

H 264, 12 fps, data rate restricted to 150kbits/sec, Best quality
(multipass), reducing from the original size somewhat; along with sound MP4,
AAC 40 bits at Best encoder rate.

No need to host on YouTube; just stick it up anywhere, e.g. on your own
site. It will "stream" just fine, i.e. the download speed is faster than the
playing speed. Example:

http://www.latenightsw.com/mall/FS5ItsAlive.mov

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!