[TxMt] tm_interactive_input question

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Wed Apr 9 22:20:49 UTC 2008

Hi Allan,

On 09.04.2008, at 23:28, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2008, at 11:46, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I see the dialog and the prompt but I cannot enter something and I
>> cannot close the dialog (only APPLE+. works).
>> What I'm doing wrong?
>
> The problem is that the dialog was non-modal, i.e. relying on the
> global event loop of TM, but that isn’t running during the
> execution of commands. I have fixed it to make the dialog modal and
> should work now.
Thanks a lot! I will try it out tomorrow.

>> BTW: How can I change the button's titles?
> You can set TM_I_WANT_PINK_BUTTONS=YES :p
Why not. My daughter would love it ;P

> Nah… presently there is no way to change button titles AFAIK, but
> Luke did initially have environment variables for them. Question
> is, does it make sense to change them? The “Send EOF” should
> probably stay hardcoded, but an environment variable can be made
> available to change the other one. Would that be enough?
Well, if one thinks in terms of a running script asking the user for
whatever, it would be fine.
But I did play with an elder version (tm_read) and Rdaemon.
It seems that R (R running as daemon via spawn in an hidden pty)
distinguishes between a 'read' coming from pipe as 'keyboard input'
and the R command 'readline' which reads something from the keyboard.
This led me to the assumption to use tm_interactive_input to solve a
tiny problem - meaning whenever R executes the command readline,
tm_interactive_input pops up a dialog to enter something. If there is
a way to get rid of it - and there're a very few not only theoretical
indications - then it would be nice not only to label the buttons but
also to show only one button or even a NIB . ;)
[or a third button which kills the running process]

But back to the reality, I mean to be able to label the 'Send' button
would be fine for now.

Thanks and mange tak,

--Hans