[TxMt] Re: Auto-completion activated by caps lock + A

Jacob Rus jacobolus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:38:56 UTC 2007

Jenny Harrison wrote:
> On 9/18/07, Jacob Rus wrote:
>> I'm planning to someday turn my right ⌘ key into an ⎋ key.  I've been
>> too lazy so far to figure out how though.
>
> Has anyone managed to make this swap with Ukelele?  An obstruction I
> found is that left ⌘ and right ⌘ are linked together.

Well no, Ukelele can't handle modifier keys.  So there are 2 other
possible ways, but either is tricky.

Desp [figured out][1] that you could remap any of the modifiers to any
other.  So the first possibility is to map one of the ⌘ keys to
something like "help", and then either a) make help do the thing you
want, or b) figure a way to get the "help" key to trigger another key
event.  This has the downside of clobbering whatever the help key was
otherwise going to do, but I think it's worth it.

So I may at some point just change all the completion commands, etc. to
use the help key, and then devote my right ⌘ key to that.

[1]: http://desp.night.pl/keys.html

The [other way][2] is to muck with plist files in the keyboard driver
itself.  I haven't tried this, it looks a bit daunting, and I'd imagine
it's a good way to panic your computer or make your keyboard stop
working altogether if you screw something up too much, but it might work
out. :)

[2]: http://www.snark.de/index.cgi/0007

-Jacob