[TxMt] Folder opening behavior

Mike Brodhead mkb at black-ice.org
Wed Oct 24 22:02:20 UTC 2007

Sorry if this is well-trod ground, but I couldn't find anything in
the archives...

I'd like to see TextMate automatically detect the presence of a
project file inside a folder which is being opened and use the
project file instead of making a fresh, unsaved project from the folder.

This is especially problematic when opening items from the command
line.  If I cd into a parent directory and see a directory which I'd
like to open in TM, I must type "mate <dirname>" if there is no
project file available, but if there is a project file, I must type
"open <dirname>/<projname>".  That is, I must use a different command
depending on whether a project file is present or not.

Furthermore, I must either remember whether I have created a project
for a given directory, or take the time to manually check for one via
ls.  I'd much rather be able to take the same action every time and
let TextMate do the right thing.

Of course, the matter gets complicated if there is more than one
project file in a particular folder.  Perhaps in that case TM can
prefer the one named to match the enclosing folder, ask the user, or
just fall back to existing behavior.

Does anybody have other thoughts on this?

Thanks!

--mkb