[TxMt] AS3/Flex, how to begin?

Jeremy Sachs rezmason at mac.com
Tue Oct 23 14:43:05 UTC 2007

With regards to taking up AS3, there are some books that I highly
recommend, in this order:
http://www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1590597915 (Foundation AS3
Animation)
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-ActionScript-3-Design-Patterns/dp/
0321426568 (Advanced AS3 with Design Patterns)

The first one's an easy read and a good reference. The second gets
useful when you reach the point that you're noticing patterns in your
different projects' code, and are thinking about abstracting them.

If your book budget is small, there're also free references online to
help you out, though they read like c**p (as they probably should):

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/ActionScriptLangRefV3/ (Language
Reference)
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/Part1_Programming_AS3_1.html
(Programming ActionScript 3.0)

As for porting your AS2 project over, you may have some difficulty
with that, depending on how much of your code in in the .fla file. I
suggest you develop a simple game (like Pong :) to get the hang of
things before attempting your port. I expect that most of your code
is reusable, but you may want to refactor large portions of it to
work more intuitively in the new language.

Best-a-luck!

-Jeremy