[TxMt] Which LaTeX distribution

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Thu Oct 4 06:29:16 UTC 2007

On 04/10/2007, at 00:01, Alain Matthes wrote:

> [...]
> yes I understand... and I recommended too for the beginners to
> follow the recommendations but  MacTeX is a large download (740M)
> perhaps in the help,  it's possible to speak about the method used
> by Oktay Acikalin : Basictex.dmg and mactex-additions.dmg

I am not aware of that distro. So how big a DL is that? and is it
fully functional for basic stuff?

Definitely if this is enough to get people started with LaTeX (which
that part of the bundle help is about) then we should recommend it
instead, unless it has some clear disadvantageous.

Can you give the pros/cons of that distro, and maybe the pros of
choosing one of the larger distros.