[TxMt] Which LaTeX distribution

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Wed Oct 3 22:43:38 UTC 2007

Le 4 oct. 07 à 00:28, Dr. Drang a écrit :

> On Oct 3, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Alain Matthes wrote:
>
>> With MacTeX, is it easy now to add a font ? For example , with I-
>> installer I have fourier directly.
>>  Is it the same with macTeX ?
>
> MacTeX comes with the Fourier font and the fourier.sty LaTeX
> package, so you don't need to do anything to use them.
>
> I just switched from an older version of gwtex (installed via i-
> Installer) to MacTex, and I have a few nonstandard fonts in my ~/
> Library/texmf tree. Getting them to work with MacTex required three
> steps:
>
> 1. Move the .map files to the new standard location, ~/Library/
> texmf/fonts/map/dvips/misc/
> 2. For each font, add a line that looks like "Map fname.map" to
>     ~/.texlive2007/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
> 3. Run "sudo updmap"

It is not obvious there are two  ways

1)
sudo updmap --enable Map=fname.map

2)  better (updmap creates file and folder in  your home tree)

sudo updmap-sys --syncwithtrees
sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=fname.map

 From Herbert Schultz :

"ALWAYS use the -sys versions of the commands (e.g., updmap-sys, not
updmap). Gerben's gwTeX, traditionally made the two commands synonyms
but you should get into good habits in case you go over to a gwTeX
that isn't configured that way or MacTeX. The -sys versions of the
commands try to put the map files, etc., in the proper place in the
system TeX trees (texmf.local in gwTeX) while the non-sys version
will write to your personal texmf tree---this has lead to tons of
problems when trying to diagnose problems as you can see."

And here you see some differences between macTeX and gwTeX

Regards Alain