[TxMt] Context menu: Help me get my mind around this...

Neil Baylis neil.baylis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 02:38:31 UTC 2007

Allan Odgaard-2 wrote:

>  But I don’t really get your workflow, so maybe
> you want to elaborate on that, and why it is disappointing only being
> offered ⌘B and a global menu to build your project.

My disappointment was not about the build command per se, but rather about
the fact that one cannot add _anything_ to the context menu. The items I
would most want in the context menu would be looking up definitions and
references when the cursor is over some symbol. I use the mouse a lot,
because I suck at remembering keyboard shortcuts.

You asked about my workflow...

Currently, I use vslick running on a linux box at the office. All my
colleagues simply use ssh and vi. My company changed their WAN, and now
using vslick remotely (using X on the Mac) is untenable. That's why I'm
looking for a new editor, and how I got to TextMate. After using TM for a
few days, I purchased a license as I discovered all kinds of good things to
use it for (E.g. building code for PIC microcontrollers, maintaining my
website, etc).

To work remotely, I used to run an X session on my Mac, and project the
vslick session onto it from the linux box at work. Since the change to the
WAN, that's simply too slow. Now I remotely mount the filesystem of the
linux box using sshfs (MacFuse) and edit the files with vi. I've tried this
with TM, and it works, but is a bit slow. Strange things happen, for example
if I have a few files open in TM, and then cover the TM window with another
App. When TM gets focus again, there is sometimes a long delay before it
responds. During this time, I see the network lights blinking madly, so I
guess TM is checking the files or something.