[TxMt] Add Line Breaks

Robin Houston robin.houston at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:33:40 UTC 2007

On 20/11/2007, Frank Eves <gold_eagle at mac.com> wrote:
> - TextMate Soft Wrap set to 66 characters
> - How do I Hard Wrap my document at 66 columns?

As far as I know, TextMate doesn't have a built-in command to do this.
You can use Text > Filter Through Command… to run some external
formatter of your choice. Unfortunately the BSD version of fmt included
with OS X can't quite be made to do the right thing, though you may find
it good enough for your purposes. (The problem is that it insists on removing
linebreaks as well as adding new ones. The GNU version is better since
it has an option that prevents it from doing that; you could always install
it, assuming you know how to work a C compiler and so on.)

This question comes up fairly regularly, and I remember there have been
some good suggestions made in the past, though I don't remember precisely
what they were. You could try searching the archives of this list.

Robin