[TxMt] update fails

Jasper van der Meulen jasper at logt.nu
Tue Nov 20 11:28:24 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 12:21 , Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2007, at 14:48, Jasper van der Meulen wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Somewhere i can find 1.5.6 and try all over again ?
>
> Change the version to 1.5.6 in the 1.5.7 download link.
>
> But learning that you open TextMate by opening the document file, I
> am 99% certain that the system did actually run the version on your
> Time Machine backup, and the backed up version was then target for
> the update.

That's something i can understand .. but maybe it's apple indexing
service that's suddenly indexes (even tho spotlight prefs prevent it
from indexing) it somehow got indexed and launched that version.
Like i said, somehow i also got applications from my backup in my
"open with" list

> Running the wrong version of TextMate happens all the time for me
> (since I generally have 3 versions installed), even when TextMate is
> already running, the system will sometimes find another version to
> run, when I open a document -- and I have heard numerous complaints
> from people about Leopard running (mostly trashed) applications from
> their Time Machine backup.
>
> Resetting launch services works temporarily (as Rob suggests), the
> problem is that if you open a folder with applications, the system
> will cache the info from these applications, and it seems that for
> file types where you did not explicitly assign an application, it is
> the last one seen, which can handle the type, that gets to handle it.

I'll try tonight ..i've read it but haven't got a chance to do it yet.

thanks