[TxMt] svnserve or apache2 on Leopard?

Mon Nov 12 01:16:40 UTC 2007

On 11/11/2007, at 11:00 PM, textmate-request at lists.macromates.com wrote:

> Granted svn can be a pain to set up, but is Mercurial generally
> accepted by the Open Source community? Right now, if someone wants to
> pass around a new Textmate bundle or Rails plugin, they point to an
> svn repo and the deal is done. I haven't looked into Mercurial too
> carefully, but if it's better and can be accessed by svn users
> transparently (riiiigggt :) then it could be a godsend.
>
> Any thoughts on that?

Heh,

   There are a bunch of different version control systems out there
vying to the be the distributed version control system of choice.  I
like DARCS and Monotone myself - there is more theory behind their
handling of the distribution/merging.  Having said that, Mercurial has
a lot of momentum behind it at the moment - it is known as being fast
and easy to use.

   The point above is correct though, if you want to make something
available to the unwashed masses, svn is the way to go. You have to
ask yourself if it is worth your time to set up svn, or if you're
happier using one of the other systems and telling the unwashed masses
they'll have to use it if they want your latest source...

Be well,

Will         :-}