[TxMt] Re: Performance Request: Faster "Find in Project"

Piero D'Ancona pierodancona at gmail.com
Sun May 27 17:47:59 UTC 2007

Rafał Komorowski <komor at ...> writes:

> On 26/05/2007, at 22:01, Soryu wrote:
>
> >> Spoiled by Spotight?  What system are you using?  One of the new 8
> >> core beasts?  Spotlight is slow as mud for me usually on a Core
> >> Duo MacBook Pro.
> >
> > Quicksilver ftw and I have “only” 1.5 GB of RAM on my Powerbook
> > as well. But still Find in Project never seems to lose its speed
> > after the initial run.
>
> I have a private theory, that Spotlight is slow on machines with
> Developer Tools installed, or any other enormous set of text/PDF
> files. I have both DevTools and lots of txt/doc/pdf files with my
> work, and Spotlight really slows down on my Powerbook.

Personal experience:

DevTools + 12G of papers (mostly pdf) on a Powerbook G4 1.5 with 512M:
Spotlight is slow, close to painfully. Quicksilver much better (slowish)

DevTools + 18G of papers (mostly pdf) on a MacBook pro 2.33 with 3G (yay!):
Spotlight is as fast as Quicksilver. First time you call Spotlight can be a
bit slow to list results (3-5 sec), from the second time on it's
very fast, like in Jobs' keynotes. I use Spotlight as an app launcher,
would you believe it?

Piero