[TxMt] Workflow question

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Fri Mar 30 10:32:07 UTC 2007

On Mar 30, 2007, at 12:40 AM, lekim raasdnil wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I have been looking at Textmate and bluntly, have been blown away
> by the balance it has gotten between a really narrow scope that is
> done really really really well.
>
> For example, "wrap each line" bundle command is just majic!  I
> can't think how many times I have had to do this by hand in
> Dreamweaver!
>
> But I have a question that I am sure someone else has solved that I
> have not found a solution for on the web.
>
> That is, how do you integrate Textmate, with SVN and also manage
> sites?
>
> Now, before ou just hit reply and say "SVNX" let me explain...
>
> Dreamweaver has a nice feature, that is, it knows about all the
> files in the site.  if you change the location of a file, change
> the name of a directory or the name of the file itself within the
> site, it will run back through the entire site and update every
> link to that file.
>
> This is especially useful when you are re-coding sites and bringing
> them up to the CSS age.
>
> The problem with this, is if you do it, SVN doesn't see it and SVN
> then complains about missing file X and added file Y when in fact
> it is a simpel rename X to Y - the end result of this is polution
> orphans in the SVN database (not a huge problem, unless you are
> using huge files)
>
> Conversly, if you do the move from SVN (svn rename big_picture.jpg
> little_picture.jpg) then Dreamweaver doesn't know about it and
> can't find those 101 references to big_picture.jpg that just got
> moved (of course you can do it with a find/replace, but this does
> not handle relative links).
>
> One obvious solution is move it with SVN, then do a find / replace
> in textmate.
>
> But that doesn't handle relative links (../../../img/myimages/
> little_picture.jpg being the same as ../myimages/little_picture.jpg)
>
> So how do you do it?  I think my answer lies in regex.....
>
> Does anyone have a solution out there to this particular problem?
>
> Regards
>
> Mikel

I handle all of my svn in TextMate or the terminal. SVNX is way too
slow and gets in my way.

Way back in the day I totally relied on that feature of dreamweaver.
But I haven't needed anything like that in a long long time now.

Personally, if I had to do it now I would just do it manually.
svn rename the file, commit, svn up.
Then I'd do a project wide search for the filename I just renamed and
if that was the only file names that then it's easy. But if it's like
index.html and there are a thousand references to it, I'd just keep
from having to do this at all costs.

If you really do this sort of thing often then you could write some
scripts to help automate it. But I'm sure dreamweaver hat lots of
code in there to understand all of the links that you'd have to
either rewrite yourself for textmate or just fake with complex regex.

You best bet is to avoid this sort of thing at all costs. ;)

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors