[TxMt] SVN?

James Edward Gray II james at grayproductions.net
Thu Mar 29 20:49:10 UTC 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 3:31 PM, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 3:50 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>
>> The more you get into version control, the more you learn that
>> those smaller changes are exactly what you want.  You want to get
>> it down to where each commit does just one thing, whether that's
>> adding a new feature, fixing a bug, or just some copyediting.
>
> Sure, and that's how I try to use it. But I wouldn't want to have
> to commit things just to get them over to a web server. If I did,
> there would be all kinds of commits with comments like "forgot a
> semicolon at the end of this line" or ten commits in a row saying
> things like "tweaking the spacing above and below H2 tags".
> Adjusting the spacing around a tag or setting something's color is
> a single "change" that only needs to be committed once in my
> opinion, but it might have involved dozens of trail-and-error
> updates to the file on disk.

To me, this is really more about issues with your development
environment.

Honestly, there's no way in the world I could do my job without being
able to check things as I go.  I need to be able to run unit and
functional tests, fire up a web browser and poke around, or
something.  Push-to-the server-then-visit just wouldn't do it for me.

> Bottom line: Subversion is great for version control and crappy for
> "file transfer" or "remote editing", which is what the original
> question was about. Using it for other purposes would be a
> perversion of Subversion. :)

Sure.  Good point.  I agree.

> On an unrelated note, I'm going through the book now and have
> picked up a lot of good stuff.

Terrific.  I'm glad to hear it.  Thanks for the support.

James Edward Gray II